Transition to Primary School
At St. Mary Magdalen’s Primary School, we understand that even though the first days of Prep are exciting, it can also be quite a nervous time for students and parents.
To help students become more familiar with their new school environment we offer a Transition Program that begins the previous year to your child starting school.
Our Transition program is to familiarise parents and children with the school, the staff, its surroundings and facilities. We want your child and your family to feel at home at St. Mary Magdalen’s right from day one.
The program assists students in becoming familiar with the school environment and in developing a closer relationship with peers and school staff.
Our transition program offers a range of activities and events to introduce children and their families into our school community.
Some of these activities include:
- Meeting you and your child on School Tours
- Parent Information Evening held in November
- Invitations to special school events and celebrations
- School transition visits take place in Term 3 and 4. Children are engaged in a variety of activities such as story time, art, music and gardening. (A timetable with dates will be given to families).
- Contact made with the child’s Kindergarten/Childcare Centre
- Prep Teachers and supporting staff read Transition Statements from Kindergarten Teachers
- Introducing the Prep/Year 6 Buddy Program
- Welcome to school family night held in Term 1
Families are given the opportunity at the parent information sessions to:
- learn about school processes and curriculum
- discuss strategies to help children adjust to starting school
- share unique information about your child
- find out how you can be engaged in your children’s learning at home and at school
- Develop effective family-school partnerships
- Meet other families and build social networks
- Ask any questions you may have.
We look forward to working in partnership with you and your family and we especially look forward to educating your child.
Our transition program lays the foundations for your child’s successful start at school through engaging families in their child’s education and supporting children to adjust to school life at St. Mary Magdalen’s.
Tours of St Mary Magdalen's
Choosing the right school for your child takes careful consideration. We understand the education, happiness and safety of your child is important in making that decision. We invite you to book a personal tour of the school so that you can get a feel for the culture and learning environment and meet our caring and nurturing teachers. When you have a tour you will then know if our school is the right environment for learning for your child.
We often invite parents to join our weekly investigations sessions so you are able to see how the children are innovating, creating and experimenting through our unique learning experience. You are welcome to bring your child or children along to meet our wonderful students.
Book a tour today by clicking here.
Enrolling at St Mary Magdalen's
Once you have taken a tour and made a decision, the enrolment process is quite simple. Click here for our enrolment process.